Children swallow the most money

exp. Dr. Meltem Gülşan pointed out that foreign bodies ingested by mouth cause severe morbidity and mortality by entering the respiratory tract and stated that these cases need urgent evaluation. dr.

Gülşan noted that the most commonly swallowed foreign objects in children who ingest foreign objects are money, toys, magnets and batteries. Gülşan said, “While ingestion of fish bones is common in Far Eastern countries, ingestion of safety pins, pins and money is more common in our country. While soft-tipped foreign objects are not a problem, sharp objects cause serious problems. most foreign bodies (about 80 percent) pass easily through the digestive tract, 20% are trapped in the anatomical transition regions of the digestive system Upper, middle, and lower stenosis of the esophagus, pylorus, ileocecal valve, and rectosigmoid colon are anatomical areas of stenosis. curtain, ring, malignancy or eosinophilic esophagitis in the esophageal strictures due to strictures causing obstructions such as a foreign body in the digestive system even after daily feeding. The use of endoscopic interventions in childhood also makes it possible to remove swallowed objects non-surgically .

While the endoscopic method is used in 10-20%, less than 1 percent of the surgical procedure is needed. The complaints of children who ingest a foreign body on first admission are a feeling of blockage in the digestive system, drooling from the mouth, coughing, vomiting, bloody saliva, refusal to eat, pain (in the neck, chest or abdomen) and breathing problems. fear. While ingested foreign objects vary by country and region, coins, toys, magnets, and batteries usually come first. Most cases of pin ingestion are young girls over 10 years old wearing a headscarf. The reason for this has been reported as taking a deep breath or accidentally swallowing as a result of laughing while using a pin to connect the ends of the headscarf. Similarly, the reason for pin ingestion in children under the age of five is thought to be the accidental ingestion of pins attached to baby clothes for various purposes.

When we look at the areas where foreign bodies get trapped in the digestive system, we see that the esophagus and especially the upper part of the esophagus comes first. In many studies, the upper anatomical region, also known as the cervical esophagus, is the most commonly reported site for foreign body insertion. The importance of the esophagus is that pressing objects such as coins can cause necrosis after four to six hours. Ingested foreign bodies are detected in the stomach at the second frequency. A foreign body that can pose a danger in the stomach and digestive system is the battery. The reason for this is that alkaline batteries cause local erosion of the mucous membranes of the digestive system and sometimes systemic poisoning symptoms, depending on their content.

Magnets are also foreign objects that require urgent removal, especially if swallowed in large numbers, as they stick together and cause tissue necrosis. Foreign bodies detected in the duodenum usually leave the digestive system without problems. Foreign objects can be removed endoscopically, depending on their location. Anesthesia is applied to the majority of children during the endoscopy procedure. Mild sedation recommended during the endoscopy procedure in the adult age group is often sufficient. While there are centers that use different techniques and tools to remove foreign objects, the most commonly used method is endoscopy, and auxiliary tools are tweezers, traps, and baskets. As a result, ingestion of foreign objects during childhood, especially in the under five years, is a major public health problem worldwide. To prevent cases of ingestion of foreign objects and associated more serious problems, parents should be educated and precautions should be taken in places where children play.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *