Expert name warns of mushroom poisoning

To draw attention to the mushroom poisoning that has taken place in Çorum in recent days, Assoc. Dr Murat Doğan stated that the rains in the spring months provide a suitable natural environment for mushroom development and emphasized that unknowingly collecting and consuming mushrooms that grow in nature can lead to poisoning that can lead to death.

associate Dr. Doğan said, “Health problems associated with the consumption of mushrooms are commonly seen in our city and in our country, and it is a major health problem that can lead to death.”

‘Mushrooms can cause serious and potentially fatal poisoning’

associate Dr. Doğan stated that the types of mushrooms consumed in most cases are not known and stated that mild gastrointestinal findings are usually seen in mushroom poisonings.

Noting that mushrooms that cause acute poisoning threaten life 6 hours after being eaten, Assoc. Dr. “The mushrooms that cause symptoms six hours after consumption can lead to severe and potentially fatal poisoning,” Doğan said.

Assoc. states that several types of mushrooms cause acute gastroenteritis immediately after being eaten. Dr Doğan said: “When ingesting these mushrooms, symptoms appear within 1 to 3 hours and include diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal cramps. In severe poisonings, neurological symptoms such as dizziness, ataxia, tremor, seizures and coma may develop with liver damage and renal failure. As a result, patients may experience life-threatening multi-organ failure that requires intensive care and can even result in death,” he said.

‘Common rumors among the public should never be trusted’

Underlining that widespread rumors among the public should never be trusted, Assoc. Dr Doğan said: “If it has been seen to have been consumed by animals before, it can be eaten. Mushroom that has been in our garden for a long time. Approaches such as that we have been collecting the same mushroom for years are not correct. Because the most common cases of mushroom poisoning occur in these people.

‘Cooking or boiling mushrooms does not prevent poisoning’

Noting that there is another belief among the people that the poison is removed from the mushrooms by cooking, Assoc. Dr. Doğan said: “Most mushroom species are heat resistant. Therefore, boiling or cooking mushrooms does not prevent poisoning. He added that when there are ailments such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, dizziness and drowsiness after eating mushrooms, it is imperative to go to the hospital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *