Potential Danger in Tent City: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning! How should precautions be taken?
Breast Diseases Specialist Dr. Merda Erdemir Işık said, “It is very important not to throw coal into the stove before going to sleep. Insufficient combustion of fuels increases the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. The pipes of the stoves must be connected to the chimney as close as possible and the tents must be ventilated regularly. The danger increases especially in windy and stormy weather.”
Thousands of people who survived the earthquake disaster, in which thousands of people lost their lives, were left homeless. Earthquake survivors trying to survive in tent cities in the region are threatened by carbon monoxide poisoning as they try to protect themselves from cold weather by lighting a heater inside the tent. Breast Diseases Specialist Dr. Merda Erdemir Işık gave information about the measures to be taken.
Explaining that the biggest reason why carbon monoxide gas is so dangerous is that the leaking gas is not noticed in any way, Exp. Dr. Merda Erdemir Işık said: “The increase in the amount of carbon monoxide in the environment can only be understood when carbon monoxide detectors are used. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas. It is the result of the combustion or insufficient combustion of carbonaceous fuels such as gas, gasoline, wood, charcoal and propane. The amount of carbon monoxide in the environment increases in cases such as leaving the stoves open in ventilated areas and the fuel not burning properly in stoves that do not have a full chimney. This gas, which enters the body through the respiratory tract, mixes with the bloodstream and causes poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning must be dealt with quickly, otherwise it can be fatal.
How should precautions be taken?
Some simple steps against carbon monoxide poisoning for earthquake victims who have been left traumatic and have to live in tents and for those who install stoves to heat the tents; However, emphasizing that they must take life-saving measures, breast disease specialist Dr. Merda Erdemir Işık stated that it is essential to install the stove carefully and said: “The connections of the pipes should be checked during the installation of the stoves, the pipes of the stoves should be connected to the chimney at the shortest possible distance and the tents must be ventilated regularly. It is very important not to throw coal into the stoves before going to sleep. Insufficient combustion of fuels increases the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. The danger increases especially in windy and stormy weather.”
Dr. Dr. Merda Erdemir Işık said that these symptoms should not be ignored and said: “Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause symptoms such as headache, weakness, dizziness, attention deficit, numbness in the body, chest pain, blurred vision and balance disorders. In such a case, the area should be quickly ventilated and the person should receive urgent medical attention. It is important to remember that carbon monoxide poisoning is much more dangerous for lung patients, anemic patients, people with heart disease, the elderly and children. Necessary measures must be taken in all areas heated with carbon fuel.