Warning ‘Not all fish should be eaten during pregnancy’

Non-preferred foods are just as important as healthy foods for expectant mothers. According to experts, eating some fish during pregnancy can cause problems in babies. For example, mercury in products high in mercury, such as shark and swordfish, can pass through the placenta to the baby and have negative effects on cognitive skills, motor skills, language skills and vision.

Gynecology and obstetrics specialist Prof. Dr. Selahattin Kumru gave advice to expectant mothers about proper nutrition during pregnancy. Kumru said: “There is a misconception among the public that ‘pregnant women eat for two because there are two people’. Pregnant women continue to eat normally, but they will pay attention to some things before they forget they are pregnant. Pregnant women with a normal body mass index will consume an average of 30 calories per day. About 40 percent of those calories come from carbohydrates. The remaining 60 percent comes from fats and proteins. There are foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Products such as walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, cashews contain a lot of oil and are rich in omega 3. Foods such as beans and chickpeas are also rich in protein. Salads with vegetables are very valuable. We advise pregnant women to eat less often. It can be planned as 3 main meals and 3 snacks”.

“Omega 3 is also very important for the baby’s brain development”

Prof. Dr. Kumru continued his speech as follows:

“If folic acid starts 3 months before conception and continues until the 3rd month of pregnancy, cerebrospinal fluid defects in the baby can decrease by 50 percent. You absolutely must do this. They must be fed very good sources of protein. At the same time, omega 3 is very important for the baby’s brain development. At least 2-3 servings of fish per week should be consumed. Regular season fish can be consumed.

“Mercury is something we don’t want during pregnancy”

Kumru provided information on the importance of folic acid during pregnancy, saying, “If there is a deficiency of folic acid, then there may be a problematic pregnancy. Those considering pregnancy should start taking 0 at least 4 months before conception. .4 milligrams. It lasts until the 12th week of pregnancy. Some seafood should be avoided. Bottom-dwelling seafood may contain mercury. Mercury is something we don’t want in pregnancy. There may be mercury poisoning in the baby, ‘he said.

“If normal pregnant women are well fed, they don’t need vitamins”

Kumru warned citizens against vitamins and said, “If pregnant women are not vegetarian and have multiple pregnancies, a positive effect of multivitamin supplements on pregnancy outcomes has not been demonstrated. If normal pregnant women are well nourished, they do not need vitamins. Vegetarians and multiple pregnancies have it pregnant women may also need iron. For iron, we do not start with every pregnant woman as standard, we start when her values ​​have dropped.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *