Probiotics are known as beneficial bacteria that can be found in our bodies as well as in some foods or supplements.
When it comes to our health, we need various nutrients and supplements to support our health. probioticsIt is known as beneficial bacteria, which can be obtained from some foods or supplements as well as from our body.
What is a Probiotic? What are the advantages? You can check out our article for answers to various questions, such as:
What is Probiotics?
probiotic It is bacteria and yeasts that help the body to work in a balanced way, especially the digestive system and skin, about which there was not much information until the mid-90s. They usually refer to certain types of bacteria and yeast. Probiotics have a number of positive effects on the digestive system.
Bacteria balance or imbalances in the digestive system, our general health and the resulting It has a direct effect on diseases. It is beneficial for health to provide and maintain the balance of friendly bacteria in the digestive system. It is important.
Why are probiotics necessary?
Probiotics are found in different parts of the body and they have different effects depending on where they are found. Any probiotic colony It is responsible for maintaining the balance of the system in which it resides.
Probiotics in the body;
- digestive system,
- It is found in the skin and lungs.
Probiotics (beneficial bacteria) found in the gut It is very effective on the proper functioning of the digestive and immune systems. From supporting digestion to synthesizing vitamins probiotics, which play a role in many activities When it is missing in the body, when losses are incurred, the body’s functioning mechanism is disturbed and the body becomes damaged.
How to use probiotics?
There is no general dietary recommendation for probiotics. But for adults, one dose of probiotics a day is enough. On the other hand, when it comes to using supplements that contain probiotics, the use of probiotics differs depending on the content of the supplement and the form in which it is found.
Probiotic supplements should not deteriorate in stomach acid and should be activated by reaching the intestines alive. For proper use taking into account the instructions for using probiotic supplements have to put into practice.
What should be paid attention to during use?
Probiotics can be obtained from a variety of foods and supplements. What you should be aware of is that some probiotics are destroyed in the stomach acid before they reach the intestines. This means that you will not get any of the intended benefits.
Points to consider when deciding whether to use probiotic supplements;
- It is important to consume the probiotic supplement knowing what is in it and what bacteria or bacteria mixture it contains. The reason for this is that since different bacteria have different benefits, choosing a supplement that does not provide benefits to needs may not provide the desired benefit to the person.
- The amount of probiotics in the supplement is important. The potency of a probiotic supplement is measured by the number of colony-forming units (CFU). The higher the CFU value (the higher the dose), the better the results.
What Is Natural Probiotic, What Are Probiotic Foods?
The effect of probiotic foods and the amount of probiotics they contain may vary depending on the brand, manufacturing process and storage conditions. Here are some common probiotic foods:
- Yogurt: Yogurt contains probiotic bacteria such as Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus. These can support the healthy bacterial balance of the digestive system.
- Kefir: Kefir is a drink made by fermenting milk or vegetable liquids. It contains probiotic bacteria such as Lactobacillus kefir, Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum.
- Pickle: Fermented vegetables, especially cucumbers, carrots and sauerkraut contain probiotic bacteria. These are fermented by naturally occurring lactic acid bacteria.
- Kimchi: Kimchi, which belongs to Korean cuisine, is made by fermenting cabbage, cucumber and other vegetables. The probiotic bacteria it contains can support the health of the digestive system.
- Miso: Miso is a Japanese soup and condiment ingredient made by fermenting ingredients such as soybeans, rice or barley. The probiotic bacteria it contains can aid digestion.
- tempeh: Tempeh is a food made with soybean fermentation. While the probiotics it contains support the health of the digestive system, it is also used as a source of protein.
- Probiotic Supplements: In addition, probiotics can be found in capsule, tablet or powder form. It can often contain various probiotic strains from yogurt, kefir or other fermented foods.
How do you choose the most suitable probiotic?
The most convenient way to absorb the probiotic into the body is to place it in the intestines with natural foods. In some cases, natural nutrition is not always possible for probiotic intake. In such cases, a probiotic supplement may be necessary.
Probiotics should not be seen only as a preventative disease and it should be known that they can be as effective as drugs in some health conditions. The detail to note is that any probiotic It doesn’t suit everyone and doesn’t solve the same problems. probiotics, can provide different benefits depending on the type. When we elaborate;
- Persons suffering from constipation It is recommended to consume probiotics consisting of B.Lactis, B. Longum, L. Acidoclus, L. Reuteri, L. Plantarum and their combinations.
- Like people with diarrhea S. Boulardii should consume Saccoromyces and bifidobacteria.
- Individuals with gas, bloating, abdominal pain and characteristic spastic colon syndrome (IBS) L. Plantarum may benefit from mixtures of bifidobacteria, S. Celevisiae and lactobacilli.
- When it comes to weight issues A mixture of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria can be consumed.
- When you want to use probiotics to boost immunity LGG, L. Gasseri, L. Crispatus, and B. Bifidon, B. Longum-containing probiotics are preferred.
- In line with the general health gain When probiotic use is desired, it is sufficient to take B. Bifidon supplement for 4-8 weeks.
What are the benefits of probiotics?
- Probiotics help regulate the digestive system: Probiotics ensure the balance of bacteria in the gut so that the digestive system can continue its activities in a healthy way and help maintain this balance.
- Probiotics help support the immune system: Friendly bacteria support the immune system, help the body maintain balance and prevent some problems.
- Probiotics restore beneficial bacteria lost in the gut: Probiotics restore beneficial bacteria that have been lost for various reasons and play a role in reducing harmful bacteria.
- Probiotics have a supportive effect on intestinal health: Probiotics help eliminate food that enters the gut during the digestive process.
- Some types of probiotics have positive effects on mental health: Research has shown that 95% of the happiness hormone serotonin is secreted by the intestines. Gut health is associated with mental health.
Side effects of probiotics
Probiotics are generally live microorganisms known to have positive health effects. However, some people may experience some side effects when taking probiotic supplements. Here are the possible probiotic side effects:
- Digestive Problems: Probiotic supplements may cause digestive problems in some people, such as gas, bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea or constipation. Side effects are usually mild and temporary and may lessen as the body adjusts to the probiotics.
- Immune System Reactions: In rare cases, some people may develop allergic reactions to probiotics. These may be accompanied by symptoms such as rash, itching, shortness of breath or anaphylaxis. If such symptoms occur, the use of probiotics should be discontinued and a health care professional should be consulted.
- Immune System Interactions: Some people, those with compromised immune systems or those undergoing organ transplants, need to be careful when taking probiotic supplements. Some types of probiotics can boost the immune system and interact with immunosuppressants.
- Risk of systemic infection: In very rare cases, probiotics can cause systemic infections (such as blood infections), especially in people with compromised immune systems. However, such infections are extremely rare.
- Drug Interactions: Some probiotics can interact with medications and alter the absorption or effectiveness of medications. If you are taking any medications, you may need to consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking a probiotic supplement.
In short, probiotics They are live microorganisms that exist in the natural microbiota in the human gut and benefit human health. Probiotics, often referred to as “good bacteria,” are among the beneficial microorganisms in the digestive system.